Silk is an incredibly beautiful yet delicate fabric, we recommend a gentle hand wash in cold water which is the best process to ensure the fabric integrity and longevity.
Here are some simple steps to caring for your silk:
- Fill a bucket or sink with cold water and add approximately one small capful of a mild, gentle or sensitive detergent.
- Immerse your silk garment in the water (a single garment at a time or like colours only), gently moving it through the water to soak it through. Leave it to sit in the water for 5-10 minutes, do not soak for longer than 30 minutes.
- Run cool clean water through the garment to rinse the detergent. Do not wring or twist, instead, gently press the water out of your garment between your hands or place in a towel and press out excess water.
- Lay the item flat on a drying rack or hang to air dry in the shade, out of direct sunlight.
Some additional tips to care for your silk:
- Avoid contact with rough surfaces, be mindful of jewellery pieces to prevent pulls or abrasive marks in the fabric
- Invest in a steamer, this is the best method to keeping your silk pieces wrinkle free. If you don’t have a steamer, use your iron on it's lowest setting, turn your garment inside out and lightly iron on the reverse side.
- Avoid harsh detergents. Do not wring, soak or bleach your silk garments. Do not tumble dry, iron or leave rolled up wet. Avoid dry cleaning, hand washing is the best and safest method for washing your silk garments.